Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rowan's Room 'Celebrating Australia Day'









Rowan and  I celebrated Australia Day by jazzing up his room with this fabulous retro map of Australia.  It's been waiting in the attic for a wall opportunity, and today it made it's debut.  I love this map, I've loved it since I was in the third grade.  I fell in love with the bold colours, of the states and the idyllic blue of the Pacific Ocean.  I can't wait to tell Rowan how lucky he is to be born in this wonderful, big bold country, show him the big city names in black type, the vast desserts and the most southerly latitude on the earth, the line that runs right through the middle of our county, the Tropic of Capricorn. I can't wait to read him stories from the dream time, of 'How the moon got in the sky', tales of great tall ships that sailed proudly into our safe harbours and bought people from foreign lands.  I can't wait to tell him  of the bush rangers, Ned Kelly and his gang, and the explorers and pioneers who opened up the vast rugged land and so on and so on......



And this is what I've made Rowan to wear tomorrow when he waves his little Australian flag in salute to our lucky country!

Happy Australia Day!




Vintage map artwork, Mondo Cherry


5 comments:

  1. What a lucky boy Rowan is to have such a talented Nana to make clothes for him. Those are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the map and that little romper is adorable...so special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rooms looks amazing, I hate yellow normally, I love all the yellow in there. and I'm going to have a go at making one of those globe map pictures. happy aussie day to you both x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is awesome!! i have a very similar map and i LOVE it!!

    Have a happy australia day :)

    Kel x

    p.s - love your work :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the map and how you've styled it up
    Perfect for Australia Day

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...